For reference, the soda I am using as inspiration is a flavor of Ramune. This is a soda that has many different flavors. My favorite is melon, simply because we don’t have melon flavored anything in the U.S. unless it’s a fake artificial watermelon flavor. This flavor is much like honeydew and it’s actually quite delicious and not overly sweet.
I decided to try to make a reincarnation of melon ramune. This is an extremely easy process if you have a blender. The blender only needs to blend ripe melon so it doesn’t need to be a Vitamix (although if you have one, absolutely use it!). You can always strain the melon puree later if you’re worried about chunks.
I love this soda because it’s very pretty to look at and it takes advantage of the summer melon harvest. You may absolutely use any type of melon for this drink. I just wanted to use honeydew since it is the flavor of the ramune that I wanted to recreate. Watermelon would also be delicious!
This recipe is also naturally sweet from the melon with no added sweetener. If you would like to add sugar, stevia, agave, or anything else, please use a taste test to make sure you like the level of sweetness. I found that the syrup was delicious with nothing else, but definitely make it to your taste!
Also, if you wanna spike this with a little Midori I’m totally down with that idea! 😉
- 3/4 cup cubed honeydew melon
- 1/2 cup water
- pinch stevia/1 TB vegan sugar or to taste
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar (I use unfiltered organic)
- Blend all ingredients in a blender until smooth.
- Place mixture in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over med-low heat, stirring to ensure it doesn’t burn.
- Turn the mixture down to a simmer (about low heat) and keep stirring until it thickens, about 7-10 mins.
- Let the mixture cool and then strain it through a fine mesh strainer, nut milk bag, or cheesecloth into a glass. Top with seltzer water, stir and garnish with a slice of melon. Sip and relax! ^_^