What a perfect day for blue shortbread cookies…it’s been raining all day by me!
I knew I wanted to use blue cornmeal again for this recipe. I made some cornbread with it last year and loved it. There’s something fun about the color blue when it comes to natural cooking, because blue is so rare in fruits and vegetables.
I took the only other accessible blue food I could get, blueberries, and paired them with both my cornbread and my cookies. I love berries and corn together, so it really works out! Blueberries are also a nice fruit to bake with. I almost prefer them baked or cooked sometimes. Their flavor develops nicely and they create a wonderful syrup all by themselves. They’re also very healthy for you! If yesterday’s cookie post was oil-free, this one is its antithesis. This recipe makes only about 12-15 round shortbread cookies and it has an entire cup of oil in it!
Before you shake your head though, give me some credit for using only unrefined coconut oil! I actually love that the coconut oil gives a very subtle flavor to these cookies because I didn’t want to overwhelm them with butter flavor from a vegan butter substitute.
Don’t get me wrong, I still use Earth Balance and Melt sometimes, but I like to use them sparingly. For certain things, butter flavor isn’t necessary. I think these cookies really have a wonderful flavor. If you change up your sweetener, you will be able to taste the different facets of flavor each one has to offer. I used Bee Free Honee in mine because it has a mild apple flavor that I love. The consistency of the vegan honee also helps to keep these shortbreads moist but not overly oily.
The recipe is very easy and you can use only one bowl for it! You don’t have to roll out the dough if you don’t want to get all messy. You can always do hand-rolled cookies (roll the dough into about 1 Tb amounts between your palms and flatten onto your cookie sheet).
Have fun with this recipe! Change up the berry you put on top, use jam instead, add citrus zest to the dough, make an icing for them, add nuts, whatever you feel!
For a serving tip: pair with a nice fruity black coffee. I did just that and it was sublime!
Blue Corn Sandies
Yield: about 12-15 round cookies
Free of: gluten, nuts, refined sugar
- 1 cup virgin coconut oil (solid)
- 1/4 cup vegan honee (or sweetener of choice)
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp vanilla paste/extract
- 1 cup gluten-free AP flour
- 1 cup + 2 Tb blue cornmeal (preferably organic; I like Arrowhead Mills)
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- frozen blueberries/jam/nuts, opt. for garnish before baking
Preheat oven 325 F.
- Beat/whisk the first 5 ingredients together until the mixture is smooth and lump-free.
- Beat in the dry ingredients, one by one until incorporated.
- Chill the dough in its mixing bowl for about 15 minutes so it will be easier to handle.
- If cutting rounds: Pat/roll the dough on a floured surface to 1/2″ thickness.
- Cut rounds out of the dough using a cookie cutter/timbale, glass rim, etc.
- Place the cut cookies on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Keep rolling/patting out the dough until it is all used. Alternately, you may simply hand roll the cookies and flatten them onto the baking sheet as I mentioned above.
- Bake the cookies for 20 minutes and they will come out perfectly baked and golden-blue! Enjoy!