Today’s Vegan MoFo prompt intersects with another promotion I’m contributing to: Nuts.com
is featuring healthy tailgating snacks! This recipe is a big of flavor with a combination of my favorite spices and low sugar, gluten-free, healthy fats that will be your best friend when you need something healthy on the go. I know how frustrating it is being stuck anywhere without something healthy to eat that’s readily available. I always try to travel with trail mix or other whole food snacks to satiate my hunger until the next meal. Why not add some amazing fall spices in while you’re at it? 😉
The spices I’m featuring today are: caradamom, cinnamon, allspice, cloves and ginger. These spices are always in my pantry at the ready for use in baking, cooking, sprinkling, you name it. I’d probably say that cinnamon is my absolute favorite spice of them all. But, since I’ve been making a lot of things with just cinnamon in them, I wanted to mix it up a little! I mixed all the spices that I like from masala chai with the addition of allspice, which I love! I like to use allspice in savory dishes sometimes as well, especially in chili, curry, and sometimes pho broth. When I mixed all the spices together and toasted them in the oven, they gave off an amazingly warm aroma that reminded me of the holidays. What a great thing to look forward to! ^_^
I guarantee if you whip these rice and nut clusters out at a game, bring them to a get-together, or give them to a friend as a gift, everyone will be blown away by how amazing they smell. Go ahead and share them with everybody. Spread the healthy love! ❤
Pack ’em and take ’em! They’re wonderful travel companions! =P
Spiced Rice & Nut Clusters
Yield: 3-4 cups
Free of: Gluten, Refined Sugar, Soy (You can substitute mixed seeds for the nuts if you need to! It will be just as delicious!)
- 3 cups mixed raw nuts (whole & pieces are okay-I used cashews, pecans & walnuts)
- 1 cup crispy brown rice cereal (make sure it is gluten-free if you need)
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 /2 Tb nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp tapioca starch
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- pinch allspice
- pinch salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 Tb coconut oil (I used unrefined)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla paste/extract
- Pour the nuts and rice cereal onto a large parchment lined baking sheet.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- On the stove in a medium saucepan, measure out all the remaining dry ingredients and whisk them together until thoroughly incorporated
- Add the liquid ingredients to the saucepan and whisk everything together.
- Turn the heat on low and whisk the mixture constantly until everything becomes a thick syrupy liquid, about 4 minutes. It should be smooth and glossy.
- Pour the syrup over the nuts and rice and toss everything with a rubber spatula to coat.
- Bake the nut mixture in the oven for 6 minutes and toss everything with your spatula.
- Continue to bake for another 10 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- Let them cool and then snack away!
To see Nuts.com’s awesome variety of healthy snacks (and some specifically vegan
), click here
! They’re also a great source of bulk items from candy to nuts, seeds and fruit. Definitely worth checking out! ^_^