This tart can easily be made into a pie if you wish. I included a recipe for the tart shell that I made. It’s a cornmeal-based crust. If you’d rather a more traditional tart shell, head over to the Post Punk Kitchen’s blog. I adapted the frangipane filling recipe from Isa’s in Vegan Pie in the Sky. I wanted to keep my tart nut-free, so I opted for the cornmeal crust.
All this baking is getting me pumped for Thanksgiving! I wanted to provide a recipe for everyone to enjoy that was simple yet elegant. It’s also a little lighter than a pie, so feel free to compensate by smothering it in vegan ice cream! ;D
Orange Persimmon Frangipane Tart
Yield: 1 – 1o inch tart/ 9″ pie
Free from: Gluten, Nuts, Soy
Cornmeal Crust (OR prepared crust of your choice)
- 1 cup finely ground cornmeal (preferably organic)
- 1/4 cup white/brown rice flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup vegan butter
- 3 Tb aquafaba
- 1 Tb maple syrup/liquid sweetener of choice
- 6 Tb vegan butter (I used Earth Balance Soy Free)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar/vegan sugar
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 2 Tb tapioca starch
- pinch salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- zest of 1 large orange (preferably organic)
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 3 persimmons, thinly sliced (I sliced mine into 16 pieces per fruit)
- cinnamon & sugar mixture, to taste (optional)
Preheat oven 345 F.
- Sift all dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the vegan butter and cut into the dry mixture using your hands, a pastry cutter or a fork until the mixture is the texture of damp sand.
- Add your wet ingredients to the bowl and stir together with a wooden spoon until the dough comes together.
- Refrigerate the dough for about 5 minutes or until you prepare your tart pan.
- Grease and flour a 9 inch tart/pie pan.
- Roll your dough out to 1/4″ thickness OR simply press the dough into the tart shell, working it to 1/4″ thickness all around and press into the edges so it is as even as possible.
- Prick the crust all over with a fork and bake for 15 minutes.
Tart Filling & Assembly
Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a stand mixer bowl (alternatively, you can combine everything with a food processor using the same method), place the vegan butter, coconut sugar, chickpea flour, tapioca starch, salt, orange zest, nutmeg, cinnamon, and ginger.
- Using the paddle attachment, combine all ingredients in the mixing bowl on low speed. Continue to beat the mixture until a thick dough comes together.
- Keep the mixture beating on low speed and stream in the non-dairy milk and vanilla paste. The mixture should be sticky, almost like a cookie dough.
- Using a rubber spatula, spread the frangipane filling over the tart shell as evenly as possible.
- Place your persimmon slices into the batter in any shape pattern you like. I placed mine in a fanned out pattern going from the outside in. I slightly overlapped each slice.
- One you use all your persimmon slices, sprinkle some cinnamon and sugar over the top of the tart (this is optional!).
- Bake the tart for 35 minutes or until the frangipane appears golden brown and firm to the touch and the persimmons have softened and released some liquid.
- Let your frangipane tart cool completely before serving. I brushed the top of mine with some apricot jam just for the sake of being fancy, but you don’t have to if you don’t want. 😉