My favorite part about Korean BBQ is the marinade, which is the case for many people, I would assume. For those who eat meat, they may feel differently. I took the simple yet flavorful marinade and slathered it on some tofu for a quick and absolutely delicious meal. No need for meat here. 😉
I cooked my tofu in a pan with some coconut oil. You can absolutely bake or grill it for a sightly charred effect. I wish I could grill mine, but it is quite chilly where I live! (Also, no grill. 😅
Any way you cook it, give it a try! Tofu is good any way you cut it, so spice it up next time you need a quick meal. Let’s begin a love affair with Korean food together! What d’ya say? 😍🌶🍚
Korean BBQ Tofu with Pajeori
Yield: about 4 servings
- 1 pack extra firm tofu, drained and patted dry
- 1/4 cup tamari/soy sauce
- 2 Tb water
- 1 Tb coconut sugar/vegan sugar
- 1/2 Tb minced garlic/1 tsp dried garlic
- 1 1/2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp dried ginger (or fresh, if you have)
- black pepper/chili flakes to taste
- 2 Tb thinly sliced scallion
- coconut oil, for frying
- Conbine all the ingredients (except tofu) in a small bowl.
- In a large skillet, heat about 2 Tb coconut oil on medium.
- Slice your dried tofu in half and then in triangles, if preferred.
- Fry the tofu slices on each side for about 5 minutes each, until browned slightly.
- Once the tofu is colored on both sides, add the marinade and turn the heat down to medium-low.
- Let simmer, turning the tofu once for about 5-8 minutes, until the marinade has reduced and a thick sauce remains. Use the remainder of the sauce as garnish.
Adapted from My Korean Kitchen
- 3 scallions
- 1 Tb tamari/soy sauce
- 1/2 Tb coconut sugar/vegan sugar/sweetener of choice
- 2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp Korean chili flakes
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Julienne (thinly slice lengthwise) the scallion.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients into a small bowl, just like you did for the marinade.
- Stir the dressing to incorporate.
- When ready to serve, pour the dressing over the scallion and toss before adding to your plate.
- Eat immediately with some steamed rice or noodles on the side for a meal!