Today’s color scheme is “goth” inspired…I went with purple, since I happened to find a bag of organic purple sweet potatoes one day. It was a very exciting find. I’ve never tried these little guys before…I’m sure I’ll love them just as much as their orange and white cousins! Sweet potatoes are a food that I began to love as a vegan moving in a more health conscious direction.
To go with my potatoes, I’ve added other wonderful purple produce: onion (or red, I guess), cabbage and eggplant. My favorite way to eat eggplant is in curry, so I spiced them with garam masala, chili pepper, and black salt. This soup doesn’t take very long. You can have it finished in about an hour if you use pre-made stock or bullion cubes. All you need to do is wait for the potatoes to soften and you’re good to go!
For even more gothic charm, use the optional red wine while you saute the onion and cabbage.
Gothic Purple Soup with Eggplant Chips
Free from: Soy, Nuts, Gluten
Yield: about 4 servings
- 1/2 red onion, sliced thin into half moons
- 1 1/2 quarts of vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup dry spicy red wine, opt.
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 medium red cabbage, cored and thinly chopped
- 3 purple sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into large dice
- 1/2 Tb chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- pinch nutmeg
- pinch garlic powder
- coconut oil, for sauteing
- Eggplant Chips – I used this simple recipe that you can find at the link here. They’re absolutely delicious and easy to make. Just put them in when you add the sweet potatoes and let the soup cook at the same time!
- garam masala, to taste (for garnishing the eggplant before baking)
- black salt, to taste (for garnishing the eggplant after baking)
InstructionsMake sure to prep your eggplant prior to beginning the soup. Make sure you preheat your oven and add your slices to baking sheets so they are ready to go into the oven while you make the soup.
- In a large stock pot, add enough oil to saute your onions and turn the heat to medium.
- Add the onions to the pot and saute for about 5 minutes, or until slightly translucent.
- Add the purple cabbage and saute with the onion for about 10 minutes after turning the heat to medium-low.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the sweet potato, chili powder, cumin, nutmeg and garlic to the pot and stir to incorporate everything. (At this point, pop the eggplant in the oven!)
- Add all the vegetable broth and cover the soup with a lid while turning the heat to high.
- Bring the soup to a boil and then immediately turn down to low to maintain a simmer.
- Cook the soup this way, leaving it undisturbed for about 20 minutes or until the sweet potato is soft and can be pierced easily with a fork.
- Serve the soup with eggplant chips on the side and garnish with the black salt, if desired.
- Have yourself a gloomy meal. 😈